28 August, 2015

How Will You Be Remembered?

And the rest of the acts of Solomon, and all that he did, and his wisdom, are they not written in the book of the acts of Solomon? 1 Kings 11:41



The hockey world is in mourning today, following the news of the death of legendary New York Islanders head coach Al Arbour. He passed away today at the age of 82. As of the time of this writing, I have been unable to learn his exact case of death, but he was known to be suffering from dementia and Parkinson's disease.

Arbour played all or part of 14 seasons in the NHL, winning three Stanley Cups, but is most known for his coaching career, during which he compiled a 782-577-248 record with the St. Louis Blues and New York Islanders. His tenure with the Isles was legendary, and he coached the team to dynasty status winning four consecutive Cups from 1980-83. The respect he earned from those years was so great that during the 2007-08 season, when then-Islanders head coach Ted Nolan realized Arbour had coached 1,499 games with the team, he invited him to come back for one more game to make an even 1,500. Arbour's 782 wins and 1,607 games coached are second all-time in NHL history, behind only Scotty Bowman's marks.

I woudn't be one bit surprised to see a book on Arbour's life and career released soon. It almost seems inevitable considering the amount of success and respect he earned. Looking at it from the vantage point of a hockey fan, I'd say it would be a very fitting and appropriate thing.

That said, there has already been a book written on the life of Al Arbour. It was written over the course of 82 years, and it was written by none other than Al Arbour. At every point during his life, there was someone who watched him and observed the things he did. As such, he wrote a book for those people. When he played and especially when he coached, there were a large number of people who watched him. He wrote a book for those people.

I don't know if you've ever thought about it, but you're also writing a book. Now, your book may not be a best-seller, and very few of us will ever have as many readers as Al Arbour did, but we're all writing one nonetheless.

Those who are close to me know very well how passionate I am about writing. I write this blog, I write a blog on hockey history, I have written the drafts of a few novels I hope to see published one day, and I have pieces of other stories and a few hockey player biographies written. However, I feel very safe in saying that no matter how successful any of those writings may one day be, they are not as important as the book that I'm writing for those who are watching me.

Many people have written books for me. I'm very grateful for many of them, while others have deeply disappointed me. Whether I like what I've read or not, though, they have all helped shape me into the man I am today. In the same respect, I'm helping to shape those who are coming up watching me with the book I'm writing.

As our text verse says, Solomon wrote a book with the way he lived his life. It was finished thousands of years ago. Al Arbour wrote a book that finished today. You and I are both writing books that will end one day as well. Are we writing Godly books that will point others to Jesus Christ, or are we pushing people away from Him? One day, it will all be revealed. Will we have reason to be ashamed, or will we hear "Well done, thou good and faithful servant?"

No comments:

Post a Comment